Pills are the most commonly used way of birth control. Women prefer pills after having unprotected sex because they take it as a simple and easy way to get to escape from unwanted pregnancy. No woman is aware of the negative effects associated with these pills. Before understanding the side effects of these birth control pills it is important to understand the working of them.
How do pills work for birth control?
• These pills prevent you from ovulation by interfering with the communication of brain and ovaries as a result of which hypothalamic pituitary ovarian axis get disturbed and you could not ovulate
• Mucus pattern reflects about women fertility window and these pills prevent you from producing the cervical mucus so due to lack of mucus men sperm cannot go near to egg so prevent you from getting pregnant.
• Pills also prevent the fertilized egg to the implant by preventing the uterine lining from fully developing.
In simple words, we can say that these pills enter into the endocrine system and disturb it to escape you from getting pregnant.
But most of the women are oblivion about the side effects of these pills if taken for a longer time. Following are some facts that will prove that hormone contraceptive are not a good choice for prolonged use.
1. The decline in your sex drive
These pills shut down the ovaries so prevent them from producing sex hormones so shut down the production of testosterone so its level gets lower by 3 to 4 times than the level they would have been so due to lower level of testosterone you sex drive also get lower. As long as you will use pills your sex level will get lower due to decreasing level of testosterone.
2. Shrinking of the clitoris so lead to painful sex
Prolonged use of pills reduces the vascularization of your clitoris and thickness of vulvar tissues. Even these pills also lead to painful sex as due to the shrinking of clitoris then there are chances of messing with the tissues around the vaginal opening so you feel pain during intercourse.
3. Depression and anxiety
Due to decrease level of testosterone level as a result of using pills, women can get depression as testosterone has an inverse relationship with depression so with a lower level of it the risk of depression increases. Moreover, pills also reduce Vitamin B6 metabolism so also lead to a risk of depression.
Even women complaint about the effects like lethargic, sad stress and other emotional attacks.
4. Increased risk of cancer
Long-term use of pills is associated with the deficiency of folic acid so it can increase the risk of HPV infection hence you can be caught by cervical cancer.
5. Difficult to get fertile again
Long-term use of pills disturbs the hormone level of your body so if you ever think about getting pregnant then it may take longer to get a normal menstrual cycle and fertility.
6. Your fertility get changed
It is the biggest myth that fertility never changes with age but the fact is that fertility gets reduced with the age so if you are getting pills then your fertility level also can change with the passage of time and age.