IVF is the best infertility treatment, which is designed for those with fertility issues. If you are suffering from certain fertility issues, then you must undergo this treatment option. But you must get information about single embryo transfer or multiple embryo transfer prior to getting treatment.
If you are planning to undergo IVF treatment, then you need to find the best IVF doctor to get successful results. During your visit to the IVF centre, you must talk to your specialist and get knowledge embryo transfer, how much embryos can transfer at one time. Let’s have detailed information about single and multiple embryos for conception.
Single versus Multiple Embryos
A single embryo transfer during In-vitro fertilization is normal because it leads to a healthy pregnancy.
Whereas, if you go with multiple embryos, it will increase your chances of having twins or multiple births. Having twins in the pregnancy period may affect your health badly or negatively.
Challenges associated with multiple births
- If you go with multiple embryos, it will increase your chances of multiple births. And almost 70 of the twins and 90% of triplets are delivered preterm.
- If you are going with multiple pregnancies, the risk of life-threatening maternal complications increases. Or it may lead you to maternal death.
- As we stated above, having multiple embryos at one time leads you to premature birth and increases the risk of certain other pregnancy complications.
So, it is good to discuss everything with your doctor prior to undergoing the treatment in order to reduce the risk of complications.
Success rates of single embryo transfer versus multiple embryo transfer
Transferring a single embryo for IVF increases your chances of success, where if you go with multiple or double embryo, it will increase the risk of pregnancy complications.
A recent study shows that there are higher chances of success almost 46% with single embryo transfer. And almost 35% chances with double embryos.
But according to another study, going with single or multiple embryos have the same success rates in certain cases. It depends on the health of the couple, their age, and embryo quality too.
When is the right time to get a single embryo transfer?
- If you have not yet attempted IVF therapy before.
- Have a favorable prognosis for IVF therapy
- If you have good quality eggs, then it is helpful to develop good quality embryos
- If you are 38 years old or younger
When is the right time to get multiple embryo transfer?
- If you are over the age of 38
- You are not undergoing IVF first time and had multiple IVF cycles previously with no success