So, you are wondering whether you should undergo the treatment of IUI. if that is the case then this guide is going to provide you detailed information about the procedure. Also, keep in mind that every case is different so your fertility doctor will inform you in a better manner.
IUI is a method of artificial insemination in which the sperm is injected directly into the uterus when the ovulation is near. Let’s understand the procedure in detail.
What is the working of the IUI procedure?
IUI in India is considered the first-line treatment when the patient is diagnosed with mild endometriosis, unexplained infertility, or mild male infertility. In this procedure 2 things are done:
- The egg growth is stimulated by giving the women the injection.
- Medications help in making the women more fertile.
With the help of infection, the sperm is placed in the reproductive tract which allows the egg to meet it more easily. The male partner will give the semen sample 2 to 3 hours before the insemination starts. The semen is washed so that the sperm is separated from the semen fluid. It is important to wash it properly because the semen fluid has certain substances that can irritate the uterus. This also makes it easy for the sperm to fertilize the egg. The entire process takes a few minutes and the patient will not feel discomfort.
Difference: IUI and IVF
The main difference is that sperm is only placed into the uterus so that it can get fertilized. So, you can say that with IUI procedure the fertilization happens naturally.
Who needs this procedure?
- Women diagnosed with unexplained infertility.
- Ovulation problems like patients with PCOS or hypothalamic.
- Ejaculatory dysfunction or semen abnormalities.
- Before surgery, male partners got their sperm frozen.
- Patients looking for donor sperm or single women want to get pregnant.
What about the cost?
As compared to other treatment option this is less expensive which makes it accessible in the first place. Also, the procedure is less invasive.
How to prepare for the treatment?
- Before the procedure, some types of tests are done which are the same as that of IVF. the fertility doctor will let you know which treatment plan is best for you. Blood work will be done to check the hormones and genetic testing to check for any disease.
- The sperm used in the treatment will be analyzed properly.
- To check the fallopian tubes are open HSG will be done.
- Before the procedure, the couple should not do sex for 2 to 3 days.
- The women who are not ovulating will be given medications to induce ovulation.
To know whether the treatment is successful or not you need to wait for 2 weeks. The blood test is done by the doctor to determine the pregnancy. Make sure that you follow the doctor’s instructions throughout the treatment.